Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Um, really?

The woman on the treadmill in front of me at the gym last week was walking uphill at maximum incline, sweating, working hard...and drinking a large soda from McDonald's. I'm hoping the soda was at least a Diet Coke, but even still.

How often do we do things that totally contradict each other?

For example, I ran 3 miles yesterday and walked for an hour this evening. I also ate ice cream last night and I have every intention of eating ice cream tonight after I write this post. (the 1/2 fat stuff, of course :)

Another example, I cut my prayer time short this morning so I could get to church earlier. Um, really?

Here's the thing - some contradictions are just silly like the diet coke and treadmill, but others are dangerous and detrimental to people who don't know Jesus yet. Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

We've got to get our message straight.

1 comment:

POPS said...

So true,we could all confess to not doing what we say we do.

OK OK you caught me, rather Jesus caught me. Are you picking on me? Lately you have been right on, hitting me on the head. I need to go pray now.

Bye,
POPS