Thursday, April 08, 2010
We started studying Proverbs this morning in my small group, and in my personal reading I've been reading a chapter of Proverbs every day since January along with my other OT and NT readings - which means, for those of you doing the math, I'm at the beginning of my fourth time through the book. Some may call that repetitive (and redundant :), but I have to say the repetition has been really good for me. After all, it's a book of wisdom and goodness knows I need as much of that as I can get everyday.
Several times in the opening chapters of Proverbs, we're instructed to "get wisdom." Specifically in Proverbs 4:5, it says "Get wisdom, get understanding." Often we think of wisdom as a virtue that comes with age and experience. That's true, but it's also something we should actively pursue and not just wait to be struck with.
Here are some ways I have been pursuing wisdom recently:
- I read a chapter of Proverbs everyday (you didn't see that coming, did you?)
- I pray specifically for wisdom - wisdom in decision-making for me and for Ashley Ridge Church, wisdom in parenting, wisdom in speaking with grace and truth, etc.
- I call my mom everyday - she's a fount of wisdom and she's unafraid to set me straight
- I meet once-a-month with a woman I greatly admire who is about 5-6 years older than me, which means she's a few steps ahead of me in marriage, kids, walk with Jesus, etc. I share my life with her and she holds me accountable
- I surround myself with people who ask questions and don't just tell me what I want to hear
How are you pursuing Godly wisdom?