Monday, January 25, 2010

A Few Cultural Thoughts

Today I was told that I have a little "gangsta" in me. "Why?" you ask. Well, my message for this coming Sunday is titled "We Are All Witnesses" and yes, it is in reference to LeBron James and his pregame ritual (to find out more, show up Sunday or listen to the podcast - and yes, that does mean that by Sunday you'll be able to subscribe to the Ashley Ridge Church podcast on iTunes, thank you Jamin!)

Now, I don't think my allusion to LeBron qualifies me as gangsta, but the aforementioned worship leader did not know what I was talking about when I referenced the pregame ritual, and when I accused him of living under a rock he responded in kind by telling me I have "a little gangsta" in me. Please understand that all of this was in jest.

Nevertheless, it has plunged me into a few minutes of reflection on cultural awareness. Do we, to some extent, live in cultural bubbles based on factors like race, gender, age, etc.? And, assuming the first answer is yes, how do we talk about Jesus in a way that recognizes these bubbles while also bursting them?

We talk about having relevant worship. Well, Jesus is relevant to everyone, but is that what we mean, or are we talking about being relevant to the worshiper?

For now, I'm just posing the questions. Anyone have thoughts to share?

No comments: