Thursday, February 04, 2010

Proverbs 30

Ya'll should read it. I read it last week and I've read it twice since. It's one of those pieces of Scripture that I suspect I've read before but when I read it last week it hit me between the eyes in a way that made me think, "How did I miss this???"

Here's the excerpt that I've been sitting with most - "Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise I may have two much and disown you, and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:7-9).

One of my constant prayers as a follower of Jesus, a wife, a mom, a pastor and all the rest is that I would be above reproach so as not to get in the way of God's message. "Keep falsehood and lies far from me." In my words, "God, please make me entirely unable to speak anything untrue."

As for the second request, it's so well put and so true. The minute we think we have "enough," we set God aside b/c we're convinced of our own self-sufficiency. I would hope that I never fall into the lie that I have "enough" without God. On the flip side, when we have so little, it's easy to think "pity me," and covet what our friends and neighbors have (or at least, what we think they have). How rude and pathetic is it to look at God and say, "Yea, I have you, but that's not enough."

Give me Jesus. He is all I need.

No comments: