Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Plate is Full Yet I am Empty

I know you know what I'm talking about.  

I'm talking about those times when your life is full, but your soul is empty.  You're so busy that your emotions shut down because you simply can't process anymore.  

A few more synonyms: burnt out, completely overwhelmed (this is different from overwhelmed, which is a condition I would describe as the new norm), and zapped.  



If I'm honest, I have to tell you that I get to this place about every three months.  Maybe it's because I'm a church planter.  Maybe it's because I'm a mom.  Maybe it's because I'm working on being both of those at the same time.  But probably it's because I'm human.

We like to think we're superhuman and there is always one more thing we can tack on and still make it all work.  But we're not.  We don't have an endless supply of energy and creativity, enthusiasm and passion.  At some point the tank runs dry and we need to fill up - but that can't happen by doing more "stuff," and unfortunately running away to a remote island for a week or more isn't always (or ever) a possibility.

So now what? 

A few things that help me:
1. Re-inserting the prayer time I slowly hacked out of my morning because I had "too much to do."
2. Reading a book that has seemingly nothing to do with my work and my life.
3. Doing something with my hands (i.e. wandering around the park and taking pictures or baking cookies) - I once heard Rick Warren say that if you work with your mind you need to play with your hands and if you work with your hands you need to play with your mind.  I've tried it and I think he's on to something.

What helps you re-fill?

1 comment:

Doug said...

Great Points to Ponder Jenn.