Thursday, November 19, 2009

What I'm Reading

I would like to thank all of you who take the time to read my blog. I hope it is helpful/useful in some way; and, if not, thanks for just reading it (Mom). I've always been a reader and I continue to be amazed at how much I learn and grow from books and just how much they expand my worldview. As they say, "leaders are readers." I also realize how much I am influenced by the things I read, so I try to keep a diverse reading list. And so, for those of you who read what I write, I thought you might like to know what I've read lately and what I'm currently reading:

Books I've Read Recently:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - this is a book about the occupation of the British isles during WWII written from the perspective of an endearing collection of characters from the island of Guernsey and a quirky London author, easily one of the best books I've read this year

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - a book for book-lovers, you'll also enjoy it if you like well-told stories full of suspense

Church Unique by Will Mancini - great book for church leaders, a new spin on generating vision and finding your own church unique, i.e. what kind of church is God uniquely calling you to plant/lead?

Crazy Love by Francis Chan - a must-read when it comes to discipleship and moving from being lukewarm to being obsessed with Jesus in a way that changes your life, your family, your community and the world

Books I'm Currently Reading:

World Without End by Ken Follett - a follow-up to his incredible book Pillars of the Earth, I'm not big on reading things from medieval times (gross and crude lifestyle) but these books are amazing, definitely read with a friend so you can discuss (or call me to discuss!)

Going Rogue by Sarah Palin - my copy came today and I can't wait to get started (in fact, I'm going to do that as soon as I finish this post). I know she's a controversial character so I won't say more other than to say that I'm fascinated by Sarah Palin and the role she has taken on in American politics

And, in case you're wondering, I started a year-long trek through the Bible in August with a group of friends that has us reading a couple of chapters a day. We are currently finishing the book of Joshua. I'm blown away by the grace of God and also the passion of God sometimes expressed in uncomfortable ways. God was determined to have a holy people through whom He could bless the world, which meant serious laws and consequences, but underneath those things we can't lose sight of God's desperation to know us and reclaim us.

That's it for now. Go read something better than my ramblings...

No comments: