Monday, November 16, 2009

Brothers and Sisters

With some degree of embarrassment, I admit to the blogosphere that I am a regular watcher of the tv show Brothers and Sisters. I say this with some trepidation because I do not recommend and stand by many of the morals, decisions and lifestyle choices lifted up in the show. So, you ask, why then do you watch it? It's simple, I watch it and it reminds me how much we need each other.

The show makes me thankful for my family, and not just my biological family. It also reminds me that I have a fierce independent streak that rarely serves me well. Fact: God created us as relational beings - we need God and we need each other. We were never meant to live life alone, and none of us was made with super human strength that exempts us from needing to lean on our friends from time to time.

I am the biggest hypocrite around when it comes to this topic and I acknowledge that. So, I'm stepping up to the plate and taking the lead. I am intentionally cultivating deeper friendships with some of my girlfriends. I'm 28 years old and for the first time since elementary school I'm opening doors with my parents to admit I need to do some leaning. And so now, I get to ask all of you, who are you leaning on? Are you leaning on Jesus every day for your life's breath and move? Are you leaning on some friends who can give you a hand and also a push when you need it? If your answers are no, don't waste any time remedying the situation. We all need a little help from our brothers and sisters.

No comments: