Monday, June 28, 2010

God Says "Yes." We say "Amen."

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are 'Yes' in Christ. And so through him the 'Amen' is spoken by us to the glory of God." ~ 2 Cor. 1:20

Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents said things like "when I say 'jump,' you say 'how high?'" Well, this is sorta kindof like that, but much, much cooler. In Jesus, God has fulfilled every promise in heaven and earth to you and me. As a response, we don't get to second-guess God or rationalize with God or put God's plan on a chart to make sure it works for us. Instead, we say "amen" in a way that is acted out in our life as a true "so be it."

Let me give you an example. When Jesus says, "I promise to be with you always." We don't say, "That's cool, I'd like to make appointments for these days and times, but I'm pretty sure I have these other areas covered, so I'll check back with you when I need you." No, we say, "So be it." And then we live our lives as though Jesus is with us always and therefore we can do more than anyone on this world thought possible or imaginable so that in everything, God gets the glory.

When's the last time you relied so completely on God's promise to care for you that you did something your family and friends told you was nuts? It's when we get so uncomfortable and so dependent on God, that God steps up to the plate and fulfills His promises in a way the world cannot deny. Too often, we live inside the bounds and then we take credit for the things that work in our life. What if we started living out-of-bounds in our world, trusting God's 'yes' and pointing back to Him. Athletes do it all the time when they score and we think it's cool. Your co-workers might laugh at you for awhile, but I challenge you to let God's 'yes' to their life break through while you keep living an exorbitant 'Amen!'


No comments: