Saturday, August 29, 2009

Read It, Listen to It

Andy Stanley's new book "The Principle of the Path" is now out on bookshelves. I haven't read it yet, but last night I listened to the first two sermons in his "Destinations" series, which is based on the book and now I can't wait to get my hands on it.

The short version...the path you're on determines where you end up. Simple, right? And yet, how many times do all of us realize we're on a destructive path and continue to go, hoping we'll somehow end up okay. For example, we find ourselves spending more than we make every month, or we find ourselves with nothing to put in savings at the end of the month, but instead of making changes we keep doing the same thing while talking about retiring early and achieving financial freedom - not going to happen! As Andy Stanley says, "No matter how much praying you do, if you get on I85 going north, you'll never get to Florida."

All of us are on paths in our life that may or may not lead to where we hope to end up. Now is the time to make the course correction. We hesitate because it requires action, sacrifice and often embarrassment, but the bottom line is, where do you want to end up? Proverbs 27:12 says "The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

Don't take it from me - I'm off to make some necessary course corrections in my own life. Read the book and/or listen to the sermon series.

No comments: