Thursday, July 02, 2009

Questions of Accountability

I don't care how organized or self-disciplined you may be, we all need accountability. We all need people who are going to walk with us, help us stay focused, challenge our weaknesses and encourage us to stay on track. Last week I submitted a list of accountability questions to my husband. These are questions I would like him to ask me from time to time to hold me accountable. Some of the questions are:

Have you had your quiet time today?
Have you exercised this week, how much?
Are you caught up with return phone calls? (I'm terrible about listening to voicemails and returning calls - I need to work on this, but in the meantime know that you'll almost always hear back from me quicker on e-mail).
Have you been packing your lunch at least 3x a week or are you going out to eat a lot?

Let me challenge you to think of a list of accountability questions that would help you stay on track and give them to someone you trust, maybe its your spouse, maybe its a good friend or maybe its a parent. We all need help from time to time - don't let your pride get in the way.

I've tried for too long to be perfect on my own, and when that failed, I spent precious time and energy trying to put forth the illusion of perfection. The gig is up - I am extremely imperfect (not that this is news to anyone). The good news is that God still loves me and promises to bring to completion the good work He has begun in me. So, I'm asking God every day to make me new and I'm asking my husband and my friends to hold me accountable.

Try it...

No comments: